Talk:List of songs in The Sims 2
This is a page for discussing improvements to List of songs in The Sims 2Talk pages are used to discuss changes or improvements to the article or page only. Please use the game discussions forum for game discussions, help desk for game questions, or the off-topic forum for general conversations. Real-time conversation about The Sims (as well as off-topic discussions) can also be found on The Sims Wiki's IRC Channel or Discord server.
"Missing Studios" citation is largely incorrect[edit source]
Surprised to see a lot of information missing... I have all TS2 EPs and SPs and I have SimPE, so I'll hopefully be able to sort the mess I've seen on a lot of websites that list The Sims 2 music. Just wanted to point out that a lot of the categories in the "Missing Studios Soundtrack" link at the bottom of the article is... incorrect. Some music that belonged in stuff packs wound up in the base game category, or on different EPs. A lot of the websites that list TS2 music mixed things up as well. Once I stop procrastinating I'll probably start adding to the list. --k6ka (talk | contribs) 16:02, July 6, 2014 (UTC)
- I can help with Buy / Build / CAS / Neighborhood music. I've extracted all songs and organized them all by game... but not by mode. :/ I can't help you with radio station songs, though. Nikel Talk – Vote! 16:57, July 6, 2014 (UTC)
- Hmm, looks like I was wrong (and I'm an idiot). Apparently, I had forgotten that EA can't seem to actually NAME their files reasonably, so while the .package files make organizing songs easy, the names of the actual music files are a bunch of random characters, making it impossible to identify until you extract and listen to it. I know some online sources that got most (not all) of the songs correctly categorized, so I'll do those first. Specifically, the stuff packs are a mess. I guess I'll just take my time, then. --k6ka (talk | contribs) 23:30, July 6, 2014 (UTC)
- Eh, I guess I've gone for a while and... you didn't seem to need my help. :p And yeah, I know that random characters problem, because I've encountered it myself. The file names began to be neater in later EPs.
- I was thinking of organizing them by category, like all CAS music go into one table, and all Buy mode music into another, etc.
- Though I did have a much different question - how would I go about making the music previews? I'm probably not going to upload the full songs (Would EA sent the FBI to my house if I did?), so I'm thinking of doing what we've done with the neighborhood themes - a shortened version that's of much lower quality. The shortening I can do easily, but the quality lowering? Hmm. I do have Audacity, maybe I could experiment with it. --k6ka (talk | contribs) 22:30, July 29, 2014 (UTC)
- I'm not sure. I've never really dealt with song previews. Maybe you just need to concern about the file size. Since it's a preview, make the size considerably small. Are you really going to make all the song previews and upload them here? That seems like a lot of work. Nikel Talk – Vote! 11:59, August 1, 2014 (UTC)
Quite daring indeed! But if I do one, I may as well do them all. Not all at once, of course.
Hmm, I could look at compressing the file so the file size is significantly reduced. Would that affect the sound quality dramatically? Sorry, I just happen not to be a sound engineer ;) --k6ka (talk | contribs) 12:03, August 1, 2014 (UTC)
- Me either! If you ask me, I won't be able to tell if the song has low quality or not.
- If you have time and motivation to do it, go ahead. There are many songs, so it will take time and patience. I'd be thankful if you can; otherwise, that's okay too! Nikel Talk – Vote! 12:26, August 1, 2014 (UTC)
- I asked LiR and he responded on IRC:
[14:25:21]<LiR> oh [14:25:27]<LiR> Yeah, I used audacity [14:25:42]<LiR> you can set the audio to mono [14:25:46]<LiR> and then I reduced the bitrate
- Changing from stereo to mono / Changing bitrate / Converting MP3 files to OGG files --k6ka (talk | contribs) 18:32, September 13, 2014 (UTC)
- I got a start, at least. I might do The Sims 1 music too... --k6ka (talk | contribs) 02:49, September 14, 2014 (UTC)
- Note to self: Set files to 64 kbps bit rate... or something like that. --k6ka (talk | contribs) 01:58, September 15, 2014 (UTC)
- Note to self again: You can export Audacity projects directly as OGG files, just be sure to Save it as an MP3 with reduced bitrate first, and then open that MP3 file and export it again as OGG. No more online file converter-hassle. --k6ka (talk | contribs) 02:33, September 16, 2014 (UTC)
- Note: Default bit rate is 128 kbps, in case anyone else was wondering. --k6ka (talk | contribs) 00:02, September 24, 2014 (UTC)
Well, I never thought I'd get this far, but I got the entire list completed! 30 second previews and everything! --I am k6ka Talk to me! See what I have done 23:06, May 8, 2015 (UTC)
Different versions of the game have different songs?[edit source]
Per this edit, it seems that different versions (I'm assuming regional versions?) have different songs. For example, this song doesn't appear in my game, yet it's not a song in the console versions either — it's in the PC version. I have the U.S. version and all the list of songs for TS2 I have found so far also seem to be U.S. version, and so up to now the list here has been only of songs in the U.S. version. However, if different regional versions of the game have different songs, then we probably need to find a way to organize them, so readers don't get confused over finding songs on our list that don't appear in their game. How do we go about doing this? --I am k6ka Talk to me! See what I have done 02:15, March 7, 2015 (UTC)
- Probably we should add a region column saying which version they are in. These are all the song titles I found and extracted from simpe to itunes. I had to go through each localization file to find the hidden songs. Some songs are only found in Europe or Asia, but I extracted to itunes because I thought they sounded cool and I had never heard before in the US Release. Anyways maybe we should add a region column or maybe another chart below labeled localization songs with the region included. UltraGamingKid (talk) 02:55, March 7, 2015 (UTC)
- Just noticed that Suburbia, by West End Girls, appears in my game, but I can't find it via SimPE (probably why it wasn't included earlier). The list says it came from Pets, but I can't seem to find it in the Pets folder. --I am k6ka Talk to me! See what I have done 22:19, March 8, 2015 (UTC)
- Just wondering, did you find those files in the
TSData\Res\Localefolder? I looked into that folder and it appears to contain the "missing" music files for all the other regions. --I am k6ka Talk to me! See what I have done 19:49, March 29, 2015 (UTC)
- Just wondering, did you find those files in the
- Yep, seems like it. So looks like I will be able to complete this list after all ;) --I am k6ka Talk to me! See what I have done 19:51, March 29, 2015 (UTC)
- Okay so... looks like I lied when I said I had the U.S. version...
- Out of curiosity I poked around my registry according to . Turns out I actually had the U.K. version, which is why I had songs that American suckers didn't have. Interesting, considering I'm in Canada. Who knows what happened there.
- But otherwise, it seems that the odd selection for Housemix songs, which are existing buy mode, CAS, and neighborhood songs, is actually true -- SimPE wasn't lying when I found those songs in the Housemix file. Oddly enough, it's only in the U.S. version -- other language versions have "proper" Housemix music.
- The thing that does baffle me is how this has confused people for almost a decade... and it seems I'm the first to notice it! I found it strange that some other lists had songs that I didn't have, and I had songs those lists lacked. Now I see why... EAxis just looooooves confusion! --I am k6ka Talk to me! See what I have done 20:22, March 29, 2015 (UTC)
Should there be a Sims Pet Stories page?[edit source]
So Sims Pet Stories uses the same engine as The Sims 2, but it has a different soundtrack with different stations. There is a song from Urbz, there's a song from Bustin' Out, both on the pop station. There's also original soundtrack like "Here I Come" by 2 Bit Pie and "Sonido Total" by Pinker Tones. CarCrazedAlex586 (talk) 05:32, November 22, 2016 (UTC)
- Just go for it! A separate page would be best, since the two are technically two different games, so merging it into one page would make for a lot of confusion. —k6ka 🍁 (Talk · Contributions) 12:44, November 22, 2016 (UTC)
Hip hop in Sims University[edit source]
So the composers/producers of 3 of these hip hop tracks are Z. Kelley and E. Goldman (aka Da Riffs), but, as CarCrazedAlex586 corrected, the credits of the game do give the "artist" (performer) names. The problem is, those names are pure random stuff ("Joe Neckbone", "Oipics ft. erOc"), artists who does not seem to exist, except Gia Khalil on Kin Tawala. And unlike the College Rock radio, those names do not appear in the "jukebox" of the game.
Should we keep the names of the composers or of the performers on the page ? Or put both ?
Translu (talk) 19:29, June 22, 2017 (UTC)
- Actually, erOc does seem to exist: https://archive.org/details/iuma-eroc_pure_butter_productions/erOc_PuRe_BuTTeR_PrOdUcTiONs_-_JAzO.mp3 Also, I think we should keep those "performer names", because there are fake artists listed on the stereo list in-game. CarCrazedAlex586 (talk) 19:51, June 22, 2017 (UTC)
- 'Fake artists', you say? Which ones? —k6ka 🍁 (Talk · Contributions) 20:10, June 22, 2017 (UTC)
- Apparently erOc is Eric Goldman himself https://allhiphop.com/2008/04/08/da-riffs-steady-to-rise-from-young-buck-to-chamillionaire/ . Well, I suggest to keep both names, something like "Joe Neckbone (prod. by Da Riffs)" for example, as those performer names remain quite obscure... Translu (talk) 20:03, June 23, 2017 (UTC)
Unused songs[edit source]
Hello, I would like to request anyone with all content packs installed to check the MusicTitles.package file located in the TSData\Res\Text directory. With that, we would be able to find all deleted songs from the game. Thanks. CarCrazedAlex586 (talk) 08:21, 19 May 2021 (UTC)