Talk:The Sims 3/Patch 14
This is a page for discussing improvements to The Sims 3/Patch 14Talk pages are used to discuss changes or improvements to the article or page only. Please use the game discussions forum for game discussions, help desk for game questions, or the off-topic forum for general conversations. Real-time conversation about The Sims (as well as off-topic discussions) can also be found on The Sims Wiki's IRC Channel or Discord server.
I used the stupid download link for patch 4.2.32 in English and I got a trojan horse and had to system restore. I don't know if it was a freak event or not, but don't download it.Garret360 21:04, July 22, 2010 (UTC)Garret360
- I just scanned the file using Microsoft Security Essentials showing no signs of trojans. Is it possible the trojan could have come from somewhere else? The file is hosted on EA's servers and it would be quite unfortunate if some of their files have been affected. They link to the files themselves on help pages such as this one. Which anti-virus program are you using? Duskey(talk) 21:16, July 22, 2010 (UTC)
- -I use several. My computer behaved strangely and I had many virus alerts, mostly from antivirus programs I had never heard of telling me I had to download the full version to fix my PC. These would not stop creating pop-ups and I could not open any programs. I finally went into safe mode and used one of my antivirus programs, but that didn't fix it completely so I ran a system restore and now everything is alright. That patch is the only thing I had downloaded that day, and it happened within minutes of installation. I'm sure it was the patch. Garret360 03:29, July 23, 2010 (UTC)Garret360
- OK, I saw similar complaints in a Gamespot forum about corrupt patches downloaded directly from the server... I'll keep looking for more. I don't want to say that this is true or not, but perhaps the links ought to be removed, at least temporarily, until we can be sure they are not corrupt. If I find any more to say that there are corrupt patches, I'm pulling them as as a safe measure. -- Patrick (LostInRiverview) (talk)(blog)(random page) 03:43, July 23, 2010 (UTC)
patch 14 broke my pc.[edit source]
Please don't download patch 14 it has a virus in it.--Danny(Monster2821) 21:44, July 22, 2010 (UTC)
- Can you be more specific? Did you download the same file as the user above? Which virus? What program detected it? Duskey(talk) 22:24, July 22, 2010 (UTC)
The virus made my computer stop working ,where it won't start up,i know it's the patch because before my computer was fine.Also,i think it's the same as user above.And,i don't have a virus scanner.again i know it's the patch.--Danny(Monster2821) 22:32, July 22, 2010 (UTC)
- A simple question: How do you know for sure that you have a virus if you don't have a virus scanner? It could be a lot of other stuff; custom content acting funny, some 3rd party download, something completely unrelated to the patch or even to the game itself. It could be spyware or some unwanted, though not "dangerous" program. Also, if your computer isn't starting, it could very well be a hardware problem. In short, there could be hundreds of reasons why your computer isn't working, and you can't assume that the patch is the reason it's no longer working.
- That and I've never heard of a game update causing that much trouble! Ususally problems related to a patch are confined to the game itself. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I am very very doubtful that the patch has anything at all to do with your computer not working. If you don't know much about computers, specifically diagnostics, I would suggest taking your computer to a professional who can look at hardware and software issues and determine what really is the problem. -- Patrick (LostInRiverview) (talk)(blog)(random page) 22:51, July 22, 2010 (UTC)
Oh ok,i will get my dad to bring my pc to a professional computer person.--Danny(Monster2821) 22:56, July 22, 2010 (UTC)
- Well... unless he knows what's wrong with it. Is it your computer personally, or is it a shared computer? Answer on my talkpage please, since this sort of deviates from the topic here. -- Patrick (LostInRiverview) (talk)(blog)(random page) 23:11, July 22, 2010 (UTC)