A midlife crisis is an event that occurs in The Sims 3: Generations, triggered when a young adult Sim transitions to an adult Sim, and is shown by a moodlet. This event doesn't affect every Sim that becomes an adult.
Before a midlife crisis[edit | edit source]
Point system[edit | edit source]
Every Sim has a 10% base chance to experience midlife crisis once they age up to adult. Several factors will add up the percentage if Sims encounter them during young adulthood. Below is the factors that may increase the chance of getting a midlife crisis.
- Low career level or unemployment adds 20%
- Getting married early adds 10%
- Never getting married adds 10%
- Having children early adds 10%
- Having skills at level 1 adds 10%
- If the Sim never moved houses, it adds 10%
- For every breakup, 5% is added
- For every divorce, 10% is added
- For every death experienced, 20% is added
- Having a relationship below the midline (in the red) adds 20%
- Having the ambitious or commitment issues traits each add 10%
'Early' means at the beginning of the young adult life stage. Any time after that and the amount of percentage added are less.
During a midlife crisis[edit | edit source]
The moodlets[edit | edit source]
These are the moodlets that a Sim will experience when going through a midlife crisis:
Midlife crisis length[edit | edit source]
The length of a midlife crisis is the quarter of adult stage lifespan, truncated to the ceiling. In a normal lifespan, a midlife crisis lasts for 6 days. The length will be changed if the player adjusts the lifespan and adult age length in the game option. A Sim who has lifespan multiplier will have the midlife crisis length extended. For example, a vampire will have five times the length, and Sims who have wished for long life from a genie will have twice the length. The midlife crisis will never end for a vampire with Immortal lifetime reward,[confirmation needed] so it is better to get therapy from the hospital to end the crisis.
Midlife crisis wishes[edit | edit source]
Once or twice a day, Sims will get a midlife crisis wish. The wishes look the same as regular wishes, but they have a red starburst background. Players may or may not promise these wishes. Be wary that once the players promise a midlife crisis wish to the Sims, it cannot be cancelled, and will disappear after the midlife crisis is over. Moreover, when a midlife crisis wish has been promised, the midlife crisis moodlet will turn negative until the wish is fulfilled. Wishes may vary from extreme to basic, but some will include getting a divorce, quitting work or moving house.
Having more than one midlife crisis wish promised at the same time does not multiply or decrease the negative mood effect of the moodlet.
Post-midlife crisis[edit | edit source]
Once Sim's midlife crisis is over, they will get a moodlet depending on how many wishes were fulfilled.
Avoiding midlife crisis[edit | edit source]
There are currently two known ways to interrupt a midlife crisis in progress.
- Try to make sure the Sim experiences as few events from the percentage system listed above to reduce the chance of a midlife crisis.
- Sims can go to the hospital to "Get Therapy" to cure the in progress crisis. The payment in order to be cured is §2,000.
- Promise the Sim a random midlife crisis wish then get a witch to cast a Sunlight Charm on him/her. This will eliminate the midlife crisis and the wish can thus be cancelled.