A shock is a painful and sometimes fatal event that can occur when a Sim repairs an electrical or electronic device. The lower a Sim's mechanical skill level is, the more likely a shock becomes, but it can happen even to Sims whose mechanical skill is high. It can also be triggered when the Sim is standing in a puddle while doing the repairs. Sims can call a repairman to avoid this event, though there is a small chance that the repairman will also be shocked.
A shock that leads to death is known as electrocution. The chances of a shock resulting in electrocution vary between different games and can depend on other circumstances within the game.
The Sims[edit | edit source]
In The Sims, all electric shocks result in death by electrocution. Sims have a high chance of electrocution while repairing an electrical object with low mechanical skill. This chance decreases, but never drops to zero, as mechanical skill increases. Sims will always get electrocuted when repairing an electrical object while they are standing on a puddle, regardless of skill.
The Sims Bustin' Out (on console)[edit | edit source]
In The Sims Bustin' Out on console, one item in electronics is a bug zapper. An adult Sim has the option to "Touch" a bug zapper, and can be electrocuted, but will not die. It does increase their energy motive and decreases other motives.
The Sims 2[edit | edit source]
In The Sims 2, electric shock causes a large drop in all of a Sim's needs. If this puts three or more of the Sim's needs at extremely low levels, they will be electrocuted and die. Sims who survive a shock get the "Shocked" memory. Their hair will be burnt after being shocked, and their faces will be smudged. This can be fixed by bathing or showering or using the "Change Appearance" option on a mirror. With the addition of influence in the University expansion pack, it is possible for non-controllable Sims to be shocked when influenced to do repairs. Seasons adds the further risk of being shocked by lightning, and Open for Business expansion adds the risk of a Servo running amok and shocking anyone who is on the lot.
In The Sims 2 for console, Sims with low mechanical skill can also get shocked while operating a DJ booth. This will happen when the machine effects are deployed (laser, fog, and fireworks). This shock will result in electrocution, and will immediately kill the Sim.
The Sims 3[edit | edit source]
In The Sims 3, Sims get the singed moodlet after getting shocked for the first time. The lightning will cause the Sim to have burned clothing and messed up hair. If the Sim gets shocked again with the singed moodlet, the Sim will be electrocuted, unless they are repairing a computer. If the Sim has the unlucky trait, they will immediately be electrocuted regardless of being singed or not. Electrocuted ghosts look yellow and have electric currents running through their body. Sims usually are shocked if they try to repair an object with a low handiness skill, or if an upgrade fails on an object. Sims have a higher chance of getting shocked if they are also standing in a puddle of water while attempting to repair an electrical object. In Supernatural, Sims may be shocked if they eat a jelly bean. A Fairy can also get shocked if they’re drawn to the Spectrum Mood Lamp for too long. In University Life, Sim may be shocked when they are doing brain enhancement. When a Sim gets shocked, there is a small chance that both the object and the Sim will catch on fire.
The Sims 4[edit | edit source]
In The Sims 4, Sims may be shocked when attempting to repair objects. If their needs drop too low during a shock, they will be electrocuted. A Sim has a higher chance of being shocked when they're repairing electronic objects with a low mechanical skill, or when they're repairing an electrical object whilst standing on top of a puddle of water. A Sim will get the "Seriously Fried" moodlet when they get shocked, which will give the +40 dazed emotion for 3 hours, and causes smoke to pour out of the Sim. There is also a chance of the object the Sim was repairing catching fire. If the Sim get shocked again with the moodlet, they'll be immediately electrocuted. In Get to Work, a Sim in the Scientist career will automatically be shocked if they use the interaction "Press Big Red Button" on a chemistry lab. The shock is non-lethal but gives the "Seriously Fried" moodlet and will not kill the Sim no matter how many times the interaction is used even if they already had the "Seriously Fried" moodlet before. In Discover University, a Sim working on the Robotics Workstation has a chance of being shocked, giving the "Seriously Fried" moodlet. Should they continue working on the workstation and get shocked again with the moodlet, they will be electrocuted.