The Sims 3: Supernatural
|The Sims 3: Supernatural|
|Live a supernatural life in a new world full of magic, mystery, and mischief with The Sims 3 Supernatural!|
|Developer(s)||Maxis Salt Lake|
(Formerly The Sims Studio)
|Series||The Sims series|
|Release date(s)||NA September 4, 2012|
EU September 6, 2012
INT September 7, 2012
|Engine||The Sims 3 Engine|
|System requirements||Minimum Hardware Requirements on TheSims3.com|
|Creatures||Fairy, Vampire, Werewolf, Witch, Zombie|
The Sims 3: Supernatural is the seventh expansion pack for The Sims 3. Supernatural introduces several new life states, and explores how they behave and interact. It also introduces other mythical features, such as lunar cycle and alchemy.
Description[edit | edit source]
Enter the mysterious town of Moonlight Falls where strange things happen by the light of the moon. Create supernatural beings from menacing werewolves and cackling witches, to mischievous fairies and more intriguing vampires. Then stalk the night, use your wand to cast spells, or just stay home and claw the furniture and more. You can mix dozens of elixirs from turning Sims into zombies to transforming them into gold. Share your enchanted brews with any friends who have The Sims 3! Spooky surprises are in store for you in the world of The Sims 3 Supernatural!
Game Features[edit | edit source]
Official[edit | edit source]
- Play as supernatural Sims: Create witches, wizards, werewolves, more intriguing vampires, ghosts, and fairies, each with their own magical abilities, traits, and interactions.
- Explore the town of Moonlight Falls: Discover what mysteries and abilities are revealed by the light of the full moon. Will your Sims freak out or become more powerful?
- Hone your magical crafts and share the enchantment: Learn to cast spells and find rare ingredients to brew elixirs, so you can charm or hex your Sims’ lives. Send your magical elixirs to any of your friends’ games who have The Sims 3. Your Sims can hone their psychic abilities and build a career as mystic fortune-teller.
- Discover supernatural items: Race around the arena on your broomstick, visit the gypsy caravan, or preen in front of your magic mirror. Even awaken the classic character of Bonehilda, the quirky skeletal maid. With tons of new enchanted objects, what will happen next?
- Deck out your home in gothic style: Add a secret lair with the sliding bookcase door and fill your home with creepy new furniture.
- Zombification: Mix a special elixir to create shuffling, brain-hungry monsters of your very own. Chomp on other Sims to spread the love and wreak havoc. Don’t fret, you can always concoct an elixir to change your Sims back.
Details[edit | edit source]
- New "Supernatural Types" button that allows creation of supernatural Sims
- 6 new skin tones
- 5 new sliders for all Sims
- Body hair is added for female werewolves
- New Accessory Enhancements
Female Adults/Elders – 13 Hairstyles, 16 Tops, 11 Bottoms, 7 Outfits, 6 Accessories, 2 Shoes, 5 New Makeup Options, 10 Tattoos
- Build and Buy Objects
- New Woohoo Spots
- Fairy House
- Gypsy Caravan
- Magical Wardrobe
- New Life States
- Werewolves live longer than normal Sims.
- They can be created or be turned into via receiving werewolf curse from other Sims, as well as via drinking the alchemy elixir Bottled Curse of the Lycan.
- They gain athletic skill faster than normal Sims.
- Their energy motive both increase and decrease slower compared to normal Sims.
- They have access to the hidden lycanthropy skill.
- They transform into werewolf form during full moon.
- Appearance of the werewolf form can be customized in Create a Sim.
- They gain a mood boost during full moon.
- They can howl, and hunt for collectibles in werewolf form.
- At level 3 of lycanthropy skill, they can bite other Sims with cursed bite. If successfull, the bitten Sim transforms into a werewolf after a certain process.
- They can purchase the Alpha Wolf lifetime reward, which gives access to terrorizing howl interaction. The lifetime reward also improves the cursed bite interaction. Cursed bite interaction never fails after the lifetime reward is purchased.
- They have unique social interactions they can perform with normal Sims and other life states.
- Similar to vampires, Fairies live five times longer than normal Sims.
- When a Sim turns into a Fairy, their wings will be randomly chosen, but they can change their wings via the King/Queen of the Fae lifetime reward.
- They can shrink to their natural (or sprite) form to perform tasks that they cannot do while normal-sized.
- Fairies can be created, or Sims can be turned into fairies with the Bottled Blessing of the Fae alchemy elixir.
- Fairy babies do not have wings.
- Fairies often bestow gifts to others and carry special auras that increase their skills as well as the skills of those around them.
- Fairies are great artists. They are wonderful painters, sculptors, singers, dancers and are great with musical instruments.
- The "tranquillity" aura helps Sims around the fairy to have a better mood and experience less stress.
- The "creativity" aura helps the fairy and Sims around the fairy to study certain skills quicker such as painting, sculpting[TS3:A], writing, instrument skills, and cooking.
- The "body/mind" aura helps the fairy and Sims around the fairy to study these skills quicker such as athletic, logic, charisma, handiness and martial arts[TS3:WA].
- They can do a flying manuever in place via the self interaction "I Can Fly!".
- They love gardening and have a special relationship with plants.
- They can grow a plant by selecting the interaction "Bloom"
- Fairies who are higher in level have a "Fairy Repair" interaction, which allows them to shrink down into their sprite form and repair broken objects.
- They have a group of interactions which all are categorized under "Special...Fairy" with another Sim/occult.
-  Some of the interactions are:
- Give Happiness
- Gold and Toads
- Hot Head
- In Your Underwear or Skeevies
- Inner Beauty
- Chattering Teeth
- Tell Fairytale...
- Brag About Pranking
- Playful Pester
- Talk About Flowers
- They have interactions with other Sims (or supernatural creatures) such as Playful Pester or playing tag with a werewolf they have befriended.
- They can perform pranks and tease Sims.
- They can set "Fairy Traps" on some objects such as mailboxes.
- Although fairies increase in their power, it is not limitless and does come with a cost. Fairies have a magic meter that they must maintain in order to continuously use their abilities. Once depleted, the power will slowly regenerate over time, or they can instantly replenish their magic through the use of an alchemy elixir. Fairies can also regenerate their power at a faster rate by interacting with a fairy house, or riding the train set.
- They build their charisma skill easier.
- Male Sims and female Sims are both called "witches".
- Witches can be created in Create-a-Sim, or other Sims can be turned into witches via The Bottled Witches' Brew elixir.
- Only teen and older witches have access to witch powers.
- Only witches can learn spells. Other Sims can try to use a magic wand, but the interaction always fails.
- They can use any of the nine magic wands to cast spells.
- Each wand has different accuracy and cost efficiency properties, and these properties affect the spell casting process.
- They can cast spells bare-handed after getting a lifetime reward known as Magic Hands.
- More spells are unlocked after increasing the hidden spellcasting skill.
- Most of the spells are related to the needs of the Sims, but there are also other spells.
- Unlike witches in The Sims 2, there are no definite good or evil witches. However, there are still good spells, as well as evil spells witches can use.
- Some of the charms (good spells) are: Sunlight Charm, Bladder Charm, Good Luck Charm, Hunger Charm, Hygiene Charm and Love Charm.
- Some of the curses (evil spells) are: Toadification Curse, Bladder Curse, Hunger Curse, Hygiene Curse, Pestilence Curse and Haunting Curse.
- They can change food, seeds, fish (only in bowls) and insects (only in terrariums) into something else by using Conversion Ritual spell.
- Experienced witches can perform the Reanimation Ritual spell to "raise a Sim from the dead". The Sim will become a permanent zombie but can be cured by the Cure Elixir (an elixir) or the Sunlight Charm (a charm spell).
- Witches have a magic meter
- It indicates how much magic power they currently have.
- Casting spells decrease the available magic power.
- If they do not have enough magic, their powers will be much weaker, and spells can fail.
- The magic in the meter gradually increases over time, but can be boosted by flying with a magic broom or by drinking an Essence of Magic elixir.
- Witch Duels
- Witches who are experienced enough in spellcasting skill can perform a duel.
- The witch who is better at spellcasting has a higher chance to win the duel.
- Witches can not die while dueling.
- The witch who wins a duel gets a positive moodlet, and the witch who lost, a negative moodlet.
- All the witches autonomously use a magic broom when going around in town.
- Witches that have a cat[TS3:P] or minor pet[TS3:P] nearby can cast spells more efficiently; the spells have lesser chance to fail, and they use less magic power.
- Witches make elixirs faster than other Sims. (both normal and supernatural)
- Zombies can try to attack Sims
- They tend to move slower than normal Sims
- A Sim can transform into a zombie by drinking the Zombification elixir or by being bitten by another zombie
- There is a cure to transform a zombie Sim to a normal Sim
- Players can also transform Sims into permanent zombies
- Zombies cannot woohoo
- During a full moon, zombies can spawn and attack Sims' houses.
- They will eat plants from Sims' gardens or "brains" from Sims
- They do not disturb Sims when they are sleeping.
- They do not attack child Sims.
- They do not kill Sims.
- After the full moon, they will transform back to normal Sims.
- "Zombies have even been found to ignore their rigidity altogether and break into a full out sprint....Although they may not appear to be...sociable at first glance, they can still perform most day to day tasks and hardly let their decay slow them down in their afterlife." 
- "Zombies can come about in many different ways. If you happen to be an aspiring alchemist, you can concoct a special brew to either transform yourself or a different Sim into one of these members of the undead. Perhaps you are a wily witch and would rather utilize your superior spell casting to summon one of these ghastly ghouls. You need only find a tombstone or an urn to perform a high level spell and...a mutated malevolent menace will emerge on your manor...The third way to encounter a zombie is patience. When the moon is full in the night’s sky, you may want to batten down the hatches and fortify your gardens. Zombies are quite fond of the basking in the moonlight and have been found to crawl up from the earth in an attempt to tan their pale, undead flesh." 
- "Aside from the Limited Edition Peashooter, the second way to save them from their curse is by using a Cure or Potent Cure Elixir. This will effectively cure them of their craving so they can be satiated by more acceptable means. The third way is by using a dash of Fairy Dust; it’s really potent stuff and should be used sparingly....There are many ways to banish these unwanted zombies in one way, shape, or form, but there are even a few more 'extreme measures' that can be taken as well." 
- Any player who has Supernatural installed has access to vampires, regardless of whether they have Late Night or not.
- Exclusive to Supernatural, vampires can be created in Create a Sim, or other Sims can be turned into vampires with the Bottled Vampire's Bite elixir.
- Vampire abilities from Late Night such as "reduced aging, advanced speed and skill gain, offering to turn people, drinking from Sims, and hunting" are also available in Supernatural.
- Their eyes glow more in Supernatural than in Late Night.[confirmation needed]
- They can become immune to the sunlight's effects via the "Vampiric Sunscreen" elixir.
- Vampires can purchase the Immortal lifetime reward.
- Vampires stop aging after purchasing this reward.
- Other Sims do not reject drink requests from vampires with this reward.
- Vampires with this reward can be in the sun without any penalties. However, their skin will sparkle when they are in the sunlight.
- Drinking the plasma of a fairy grants vampires a positive moodlet.
- They have the ability to reveal or deny their existence to Sims.
- Vampires have interactions such as:
- Warn Away
- Hypnotic Gaze
- Imply Their Mother was a Chupacabra
- Exploit Their Weaknesses
- Ask to Forsake Powers
- Confess to Being a Vampire
- Deny Being a Vampire
- Accuse of Being a Vampire
- Show off Teeth
- Returning NPCs
- New Skill
- 6 New Traits
- 9 New Lifetime Wishes
- 6 New Lifetime Rewards
- New Career
- New Town
- 3 New Lot assignments
- New Rabbit Holes
- Fairy House
- A fairy house cannot be seen as it is a rabbit hole and it is a "very-all-purpose object."
- "This small house looks like a letterbox, but is in reality a house for little fairies! Both toddlers and elderly can hide themselves, party all night or sleep in this house."
- "The fairy house allows fairies to go in and satisfy some of their more everyday needs. They can even throw a Fairy House Party inside with some of their friends!
[hint] When an aura is projected when not in the fairy House, the fairies magic power will drop. Whereas if an aura is projected while in the fairy house, the fairies magic power will not decrease, so you can still have the benefits of the aura without any magical power used."
- A landscaped space where fairies can spend time with one another
- Fairies can interact using:
- "Participate in Gardening Contest"
- "Look for Fairies"
- "Play Fairy Games"
- "Talk to Gypsophila"
- "Visit Arboretum"
- "Visit Arboretum With..."
- Traveler's Caravan
- New Community Lots
- The Toadstool: The warm homey atmosphere of The Toadstool makes it a great place to unwind. Grab a rocking chair by the fire or take a seat on the upstairs balcony for a perfect people watching location.
- Varg’s Tavern: For a howling good time, give Varg’s Tavern a try. This old converted warehouse is now deemed the local ‘supernatural hangout’ and a great place to grab a juice or pick a fight.
- Red Velvet Lounge: While the Red Velvet Lounge might not look like much on the outside, this vampire lounge sits on prime real estate near the river, and is known as one of the more posh locales to enjoy some plasma or get down on the dance floor.
- Aleister’s Elixirs and Sundries: Want to practice a little alchemy, pick up a new elixir recipe or buy that rare ingredient? Aleister’s Elixirs and Sundries, named after the historical Alchemist Aleister Krummly, is the one stop shop for all your elixir needs! This is also the place to put your elixirs up for sale if you want to make some cash with your alchemy skill.
- Fae Ray Arboretum: Fae Ray Arboretum is a nature-lover’s paradise. Explore the grounds, read a book in the shade of your favorite tree or listen to the calming sounds of the fountains in this beautiful park. Inside the actual Arboretum you can search for fairies, take a tour or even play fairy games. For the competitive gardener, the Arboretum hosts frequent gardening competitions – enter your best produce and possibly win a prize!
- Library of Lore & Vault of Antiquity: For Sims with more intellectual interests, a visit to the Library of Lore & Vault of Antiquity is sure to satisfy even the greatest thirst for knowledge. Sims looking for ‘unique’ information can bypass the library building and head straight to the Vault of Antiquity. Trivia competitions and alchemy classes are just a few of the things to do in this historical location.
- Moonlight Point: Watch the sun set from Moonlight Point or take a walk along La Shove Beach with your werewolf pals to truly appreciate the beauty nature has to offer.
- 3 New Death Types and Ghosts
- Haunting Curse
- 11 New Plants
- 3 New Fish
- Toad Fish
- Fairy Damsel
- Luminous Salamander
- 3 New Gems
- 12 New Recipes
- New Magical Gnomes
- Known as "Gnomes of The Darned".
- Comes in 5 different ghost shades
- Chances of getting this type of gnome is higher when a Sim fails a casting spell
- Throughout night time, these gnomes will change color and may even become haunted by a real ghost
- New Mechanism/System
- New Options
Most of these options will appear in Patch 38. All social options require an internet connection.
- Full Sims 3 Store in-game
- Works if the player has logged in their thesims3.com account
- Ability to view the entire Sims 3 Store in Build and Buy modes
- Not optional, but you will not see it unless you choose the “View only Store items” button
- Disabling Shop Mode will not rid this feature
- Shows SimPoint balance
- In Game Friend Gifting
- A gifting system that lets players send gifts one another
- New Population Controls
- Ability to turn off specific Supernaturals, Celebrities[TS3:LN] or Pets[TS3:P]
- Once deselected any of the available options, they will no longer spawn in your town
- Another option available is to opt your active household out of the Celebrity System
- Also available on Patch 38
- Applied universally and not per saved game
- New Other Interaction
- Checking for Monsters Under The Bed
- For child Sims only
- Appears during the hours of 6pm to 6am
- Has two results - No Monsters and Monsters & Terrified (both moodlets)
- No Monsters moodlet will give a +15 mood boost
- Monsters & Terrified moodlet will give a -15 mood decrease, let the child run frantically and will not let the child sleep or relax for two hours in the bed that the child sim checked for monsters.
- Rock, Paper, Scissors
- Serves as a fun way to boost a relationship
- Increases the fun and social needs
- Skip Stones
- At water bodies in a town
- Available to all Sims (Child through Elder)
- Raises fun needs
- New Simlish songs
- New "Dark Wave" music genre
- Poetry writing
- A Sim must have at least level 7 of Writing skill
- The Smustle Dance
- A Sim must have at least level 1 of Dance hidden skill
- New achievements
- Beekeeping feature returns from The Sims: Makin' Magic.
- There are three options: giving them food, taking care of them and gassing them. And if you’re lucky, you can get some honey in the end.
- Lighting in the game is tweaked to enhance atmosphere (only on Moonlight Falls)
- Ability to create ghosts by magic
- Magical items like the Voodoo doll and Spell book from The Sims 3 Store are enhanced with Supernatural.
- Supernaturals will be able to Simport[TS3:ST], but other players will need to have Supernatural installed as well
- Supernaturals can "protect" non-occult Sims. Protected Sims can call on their protectors and will feel safer in the company of their protector.
- Pets[TS3:P] cannot be supernaturals (even zombies) but supernaturals will gain special benefits from owning a pet. For example, a witch who has a cat will have an increased skill with the wand, an increased mood, and a slower drain on magic.
- When two Supernaturals Try for Baby, the genetics will be 50/50. For example, when a werewolf Tries for Baby with a fairy, there is a 50% chance that the baby will be a werewolf, and a 50% chance that they will be a fairy.
- Supernaturals can be recognized. In the relationship panel, you can see if a Sim is a normal Sim, or a supernatural, by the box color. A Werewolf's box color is brownish red, a fairy's box color is green, a vampire's box color is red, and a witch's box color is yellow. However this only applies to supernaturals introduced in the Supernatural expansion. For example ghosts do not have a different box color.
- The Sims 3: Supernatural does not affect imaginary Sims.
- There is a special transformation elixir for each Supernatural species.
- The Supernatural transformation potions can be bought at Aleister's Elixir's and Sundries, however only one potion will appear to be purchased in the catalog. The catalog will refresh every day and another will appear within a day or two. The order in which they appear is random.
Editions[edit | edit source]
In addition to the normal edition, there are two other editions which include exclusive content.
Those who bought the Limited Edition or the Origin Décor Edition would get the codes for the contents. Players must redeem using the code given to get the contents. There is a post from SimsVIP which links all the redemption links of the contents. The contents will appear on the player's Purchase History ten minutes after redeeming. You must have a thesims3.com account to get the contents.
- Limited Edition
It comes with exclusive content from Plants vs. Zombies
On an Origin listing, the description about limited edition objects says:
Preorder The Sims 3 Supernatural Limited Edition and receive exclusive content from the world of Plants vs Zombies®, including new outfits and a working Peashooter!
The Peashooter helps to protect the lot from zombies, but a Sim can "Play Catch" with the peashooter at any time.
- Origin Décor Edition
It comes with the Origin Décor objects which are exclusive Plants vs. Zombies décor items. It also includes the limited edition contents. However, this edition is available only if preordered.
On an Origin listing, the description about Origin Décor edition objects says:
Order The Sims 3 Supernatural at Origin.com and receive these exclusive Plants vs. Zombies décor items to add some creepy flare to your Sims’ homes!
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- The Sims 3 Supernatural Announce Trailer
The Sims 3: Supernatural Announcement Trailer
- The Sims 3 Supernatural Producer Walkthrough
The Sims 3: Supernatural Producer Walkthrough
- The Sims 3 Supernatural Loading Screen
The Sims 3: Supernatural Loading Screen
Music[edit | edit source]
It features some new Simlish music tracks and a new category called "Dark Wave".
- Dark Wave
- Khursor feat. Sarai - Can You Hear Me?
- MS MR - Hurricane
- Lacuna Coil - Kill The Light
- Vampire Twins - Lamia
- Bastille - Laura Palmer
- Garbage - Not Your Kind Of People
- Austra - Spellwork
- Ladytron - Tesla
- Sabi - Wild Heart
- Oberhofer - Yr Face
Notes[edit | edit source]
- A live chat was announced for the pack and it was broadcast on June 19, 2012, 10am Pacific Summer Time. It showed a sneak peek of the pack and there was a Q&A session.
- A second live chat was announced via an event created from The Sims 3 page in Facebook. It was broadcast on August 3, 2012, 10am Pacific Summer Time. It showed more details from Fairies and Zombies and there was a Q&A session. After this chat was the first Seasons live chat.
- A third live chat of the pack was announced on August 8, 2012 and was broadcast on Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 5pm Central European Time (8am Pacific Summer Time) from gamescom 2012 in Cologne, Germany. It gave a deeper look at witches and vampires.
- Bonehilda from The Sims: Makin' Magic returned in this Expansion Pack.
- Vampires from Late Night return, with new features exclusive to Supernatural.
- In Supernatural, you can now control whether or not Celebrities and Creatures appear in a town. This can be done through a new setting in the Options panel.
- From the video "The Sims 3: Supernatural Producer Walkthrough", the mansion which is shown is now downloadable in The Sims 3 Exchange. The lot is made by Argus Hulin, one of the producers in The Sims 3: Supernatural and who appeared on the first live chat for the showcase of the pack, known as SimGuruArgus in The Sims 3 community.
Pre-Release[edit | edit source]
It was first rumored by Sims.Mixei.ru as they found objects relating to the expansion pack in patch 1.32. On June 11, 2012, EA Russia uploaded a trailer of the pack but EA removed it the next day.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This is the first expansion pack to feature more than one playable life state.
- Players will be able to choose a life state when creating their Sim in Create-A-Sim.
- This is the third magic themed expansion pack in The Sims series. The other two are The Sims: Makin' Magic and The Sims 2: Apartment Life.
- In Generations, if a Sim receives a Graveyard souvenir from a school trip, it shows a greenish-black ghost, which looks like the ghost from the Supernatural trailer.
- This is the second expansion pack for The Sims 3 to be centered around a night theme; Late Night is the first.
- The date that the expansion pack was released internationally had shared the same day as Dario Argento , Doug Bradley (Hellraiser), and Evan Rachel Wood's birthdays, Argento, Bradley, and Wood on the other hand, had worked in horror titles (with Wood played as a witch's daughter in Practical Magic and a vampire in True Blood), which reflects the aforementioned EP's theme.
[edit | edit source]
- The Sims 3: Supernatural Official Website
- The Sims 3 Supernatural Hints & Tips (article by SimGuruHydra)
- Unofficial Links
- SimsVIP The Sims 3 Supernatural Game Guide (used to be Fact Sheet)
- TS3 Forum Post for rumored information before release (Web Archive)
- The pack's objects gallery (SimExchange.de)
References[edit | edit source]
- "Maxis and EA Play are the same thing," tweeted SimGuruGraham
- Brains…Grains…And Fairies in the Sims 3 Supernatural in SimsVIP
- Supernatural Live Chat 2
- Godiva Gamers Preview Supernatural
- Pinguintech Supernatural Preview on Witches and Vampires
- Sims 3 Supernatural Q&A
- SimGuruKarskey Answers More Supernatural Questions 2 and the same post on SimsVIP
- Witches and Vampires, pt 2
- Supernatural Review
- The Sims 3/Patch 50
- Live Chat
- Second live chat on FB
- EA English trailer
|"The Sims" Chronology|
The Sims 3: Diesel Stuff
July 10, 2012
|The Sims series PC games||Followed by|
The Sims 3: Seasons
November 13, 2012
The Sims 3: Showtime
March 6, 2012
|The Sims 3 expansion packs|
|The Sims series expansion packs|
es:Los Sims 3: Criaturas sobrenaturales nl:De Sims 3: Bovennatuurlijk de:Die Sims 3: Supernatural fr:Les Sims 3: Super-pouvoirs pl:The Sims 3: Nie z Tego Świata ru:The Sims 3: Сверхъестественное pt-br:The Sims 3: Sobrenatural