Render of the Cowplant in The Sims 4
Cowplant dragging a Sim into its mouth
|Laganaphyllis simnovorii (aka Cowplant)|
|Game||The Sims 2: University, The Sims 3 Store, The Sims Social, The Sims 4|
|Buyability||Limited[TS2:U], Buy mode[Store], Collectible[TS4]|
|Price in game||None[TS2:U], §450[Store], 500 Social Points[TS Social], §900[TS4]|
|Object type(s)||Career reward[TS2:U]|
|Size||3x3[TS2:U], 2x3[Store], 2x5[TS4]|
The Laganaphyllis simnovorii (commonly known as the Cowplant or Cow Plant) is a partly carnivorous bovine form of vegetation that is large enough to swallow a Sim whole.
It first appeared as the career reward for the Natural Science career in The Sims 2: University. A vagely similar plant, simply called the "mutant plant", appeared in The Sims Bustin' Out for console.
On December 22, 2011, the Cowplant was made available from The Sims 3 Store as premium content in the Killer Classics set; it also returns in The Sims 4, where it becomes a plant that must be grown. The Cowplant was added to The Sims Social on Halloween 2011, where it was sold for 500 Social Points.
The Sims 2[edit | edit source]
This bizarre bovine vegetation is large enough to swallow your next-door neighbor whole. In fact, it WILL eat your neighbors. Your friends will be hard-pressed to resist the tantalizing vine-cake of the carnivorous [sic] Laganaphyllis Simnovorii. After it has consumed some prey, milk it for sweet, rejuvenating nectar of life. A swig of this liquid refreshment will add precious days to a Sim's life and wash away any regret they may have over their visitor's fate.
Feeding[edit | edit source]
Not being fed does not appear to have any negative effects on the Cowplant. However, it will attempt to capture and eat Sims if not fed every in-game 12 hours. The Cowplant will stick out its tongue, which contains a slice of cake, luring an unwary Sim close to the plant. It then devours the Sim, who dies immediately. Unusually, the Grim Reaper does not appear; the Cowplant simply spits out the grave. The Sim's ghost will be green.
Sims can be ordered to "Grab Cake", and will die if not stopped. However, the Cowplant will not eat Sims who stink due to low hygiene, even if they were told to take the cake.[n 1] Ungreeted walkbys will ignore the plant, as will most service NPCs who are on the job. However, service Sims such as nannies who have idle time during their work day may be drawn to the Cowplant during that idle time. Since a locked gate may not stop service Sims such as a nanny, it may be a good idea to feed the Cowplant before they arrive.
Milking[edit | edit source]
After a Cowplant has eaten a sim, members of the owner's household can milk the plant. The "milk" is actually a life-extending drink similar to the Elixir of Life, extending the Sim's lifespan by five days. Unlike the Elixir of Life, children can drink it. Drinking the "milk" is sometimes referred to as drinking that Sim, and doing it gives the drinker a special memory. Sims may have a want to "drink" a certain Sim that they are unhappy with. A Sim still can be resurrected if the cow been milked.
The Ghost of the Sim that has been milked may gets angry and will haunt the Sim who drank it
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Cowplant has been known to reject Sims who do not have low hygiene. The reason for this has not been determined. See Talk: Laganaphyllis simnovorii#Cowplant (TS2) rejecting a Sim for discussion.
The Sims 3[edit | edit source]
Our fan favorite Laganaphyllis Simnovorii returns, as diabolically fun as you remember and with new gameplay you'll never forget! A swig of the milk of the Cow Plant adds days to your Sims' lives and washes away any regret you may have at the fate of the unsuspecting Sim from whom its created. Feed it, pet it, play with it, give it a treat, praise it and scold it to create a loving pet, or a ruthless henchman, the choice is yours, and the fate of your friends and neighbors is yours too.
When feeding the plant, Sims give it a swordfish, which, unlike the Leg O' Lamb in The Sims 2: University, that doesn't cost anything. The plant will display its cake when it has not been fed for 3 days, and Sims will be instantly drawn to it. Unlike The Sims 2: University, the Cowplant will die if it is not fed for 7 days.
Once eaten, a Sim will die, although the plant will often spit the Sim back out if they have bad hygiene, or has the Good, Lucky, Unlucky, Brave or Daredevil traits. The Cowplant will not eat babies, toddlers, children or imaginary friends that are turned real, but will eat teenagers and older. If the Sim does die, their ghost will be purple, as if they had starved. Unlike The Sims 2: University, the Grim Reaper will always come for these types of deaths.
After a Cowplant has eaten a Sim, other Sims can choose to praise or scold it. They can milk the cow plant which will reset them to day one of their current life stage, and will give them the "Divine Meal" moodlet with +75 mood for 7 days. If the Cowplant is not fed for a week, it will die of starvation and Sims can clean it up. With Showtime, Sims can choose to throw a mini Cowplant at the stage; this will cost §475.
Related Merchandise[edit | edit source]
A statue of a cowplant can be purchased for the same price of the actual product. The player can also buy Cow Plant themed Spring Rides or Arcade Machines. There is also an option to dress up as a Cow Plant during Spooky Day.
The Sims 4[edit | edit source]
This Galactic marvel makes an excellent source of food, cuddles and lifelong friendship. Become the envy of the Neighborhood! Just remember to feed it.
The Cowplant returns in the fourth installment of the series with some changes. Rather than being unlocked as a career reward or purchased as an item, the Cowplant is now obtained by collecting a rare berry, which can be planted in a garden or sold for §900. Also, the Cowplant no longer appears in a pot, unless it's placed indoors. As of patch 99, Cowplants can be named.
Growth state[edit | edit source]
Cowplants in The Sims 4 now have three different growth states, and can die.
- Sprout stage - When a Sim plants a Cowplant Berry, there are tiny horns appearing through the soil. Planting a Cowplant Berry does not require any Gardening skill.
- Baby stage - After a few days, a tiny Cowplant is seen. When the Cowplant is in this stage, only basic plant interactions are available.
- Mature stage - In this stage, the Cowplant is fully matured. Sims can feed it, play with it, or pet it. If a Cowplant successfully devours a Sim, other Sims can milk the Cowplant for a special potion.
- Death - Twelve in-game hours after a Cowplant shows its cake tongue, and is not fed, it will die. A dead Cowplant has a dead stem with a hanging Cowplant skull. Cowplants cannot be saved after this stage.
Feeding[edit | edit source]
As in previous games, Sims feed the Cowplant meat, and a hungry Cowplant uses a cake to attract Sims so it can eat them. A Cowplant can only be fed when its tongue sticks out and the cake is visible.
When a Sim is eaten for the first time, the Cowplant will spit them out, and they will receive the Drained moodlet, saying that the Sim "feels like an emotionless shell." This negative moodlet will last two days. If a Sim with this moodlet attempts to eat the cake, the Cowplant will devour them. When this happens, the Grim Reaper will come and confront the Cowplant before checking his list. A gravestone of the dead Sim will appear, and the Reaper will then leave. The ghost of a Sim eaten by the Cowplant will make plants grow when happy but kill them when in a bad mood.
When a Sim is devoured, a notification will pop up: "(Sim name) is being devoured by a cow plant! Will he/she make it out alive?!"
Milking[edit | edit source]
As in previous games, a Cowplant that has successfully devoured a Sim can be milked. Milking a Cowplant yields a drink called "Essence of Life", which adds extra days to the Sim's life and instantly makes them happy.
Sims who survive being eaten by the Cowplant can milk it and receive a potion which will give them the emotions they had before being eaten. The name of the potion will be "(Sim name)'s potion of (emotion that Sim was in)".
Mini Cowplant[edit | edit source]
In The Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff, a minature cowplant can be bought from the catelog as a decoration. It sways just like normal cowplants, but doesn't need to be fed and doesn't die. Sims can also name it.
Other references[edit | edit source]
- The final class in the Biology major in The Sims 2: University is entitled "Senior Thesis: The Laganaphyllis Simnovorii".
- In The Sims 3, the Science career's 5th level is "Carnivorous Plant Tender". There is also a little stone statue of a Cowplant in the Goth Manor.
- If The Sims 2: Bon Voyage is installed, one of the wall hangings is an ancient tablet with a picture of a Cowplant being fed by ancient people. The description tells about how the Cowplant was treated in the old times.
- In The Sims 4, one of the Monsters a child can draw is a Cowplant eating a Sim.
- In The Sims FreePlay, a Cowplant can appear if gardening goes bad. They will eat a Sim (unless fought back), but will always spit them out. A Cowplant with a top hat can be seen in the Garden Wheel.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Cowplant is reminiscent of Audrey II, the plant in the 1986 comedy horror musical film Little Shop of Horrors, starring Rick Moranis, Steve Martin, and Levi Stubbs. People on YouTube use the plant for spoofs of the film.
- In terms of color, the Cowplant also resembles the Tomeato (A crossbreed of the tomato plant and a cow, which grew into a square shaped fruit) from The Dilbert Animated series. However, the Tomeato was designed as a harvestable crop which was easy to stack due to its rectangular shape, while the Laganaphyllis Simnovorii is a carnivorous plant.
- In The Sims 2: University and The Sims 3, the Cowplant's scientific name (Laganaphyllis Simnovorii) is incorrectly capitalized; rules of binomial nomenclature state that only the first name should be capitalized, not the second. Thus, the correct name for the plant would be Laganaphyllis simnovorii.
- In The Sims 3, sometimes the Grim Reaper will milk the Cowplant.
- In The Sims 3, the players can watch a Cowplant eating a florist in Got Garden? channel on television.
- Death by Cowplant is recognized as a unique death in The Sims 4. In The Sims 2, a random death was chosen, while The Sims 3 depicted it as a death from starvation.
- In The Sims 2, ghosts of Sims who were eaten by the plant will taunt it with a Leg 'O' Lamb
- In The Sims 4, when the player renames a Cowplant, the default name that appears in the text box is "Little Simzee", a reference to Lilsimsie, a YouTuber who campaigned for the ability to name Cowplants as a running joke in her videos.
- In The Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff, players can buy a minature cowplant inside a glass cage which they can name; the default names that appear are "Mini Simzee" another reference to Lilsimsie and "Mini Ryshella" a reference to, Risshella, who is Lilsimsie's close friend and fellow streamer.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- The Sims 3 - Cowplant Fail
The Sims 3 Store Cowplant Fail
- Laganaphyllis Simnovorii (Cow Plant) in Action!
Laganaphyllis Simnovorii (Cow Plant) in Action!