Becoming a spellcaster[edit | edit source]
Create a Sim[edit | edit source]Create a Sim like other occult types, but they are the first to only have one form. Spellcasters also appear to have access to some customisation options from other life states such as pointed ears, vampire facial customisation and vampire/mermaid teeth. It is unknown if this is intended.
Rite of Ascension[edit | edit source]
A normal Sim can become a spellcaster through completing a quest given by one of the three Sages in Glimmerbrook and enacting a ritual known as the "Rite of Ascension". Spellcasters who reach the rank Virtuoso can also learn the "Rite of Ascension" spell through the Sage of Practical Magic, which can be used to instantly turn other Sims into spellcasters.
Non-playable Sims will become spellcasters if they haven't been played once by the player, or been met by a controllable Sim prior their travel to Magic Realm.
Magical bloodline[edit | edit source]
Children born to spellcasters develop a magical bloodline trait, which will benefit them when they acquire their magical powers aging into teens. If a human child is born being a spellcaster, the human Sim's parents will also inherit the trait, however, they won't be able to benefit from it until they've turned into a spellcaster through the Rite of Ascension. Sims born with any of the bloodline traits who aren't spellcasters can skip the quest for the sages and instantly ask for the rite.
Sims that are created or turned as spellcasters start off with no bloodline trait, but their children will gain the "Weak Bloodline" trait. If the spellcaster life state is kept down the family tree, the bloodline trait will become a "Strong Bloodline" and eventually an "Ancient Bloodline". If the spellcaster life state isn't kept down the family tree, the children will still inherit the bloodline trait but will degrade over generations until the bloodline trait is bred out.
Needs[edit | edit source]
Spellcasters have normal needs just like any other human Sim, except from their needs, they can access their perks menu and spell book.
Above the spellcaster's needs, it will display a globe of magical charge that indicates how much charge a spellcaster has. Spellcaster charge fills up every time a spellcaster uses magic and only goes down overtime or when the spellcaster manaully discharges their magical energy, which can only be done once every few hours.
If a spellcaster's charge gets filled up halfway, the spellcasters magic will be more powerful and useful. If too much charge is built up, the spellcaster's magic becomes too chaotic and fizzles a lot more. When the maximum charge is achieved, the spellcaster will uncontrollably release their magical energies singeing them, if this is repeated the spellcaster can die from being overcharged.
Curses[edit | edit source]
If a spellcaster fails a feat of magic they can be cursed which will negatively affect them and their spells, similar in a different way with the fame quirks that celebrities can receive in The Sims 4: Get Famous. Curses appear within the spellcaster's needs panel as well as each spellcaster can acquire up to 3/10 curses. Curses can easily be dispelled by drinking the Potion of Curse Cleansing or with the Decursify spell. Curses can also be outright prevented with the Hexproof perk, however, it will not cleanse any existing curses on the Sim prior to the purchase.
The curses a spellcaster can receive are:
|Curse of Awkward Embraces||You’re just really into hugging and touching others now. It’s too hard to resist. Awkward.||The curse will randomly force a sim to awkwardly hug a random Sim which cannot be cancelled, however, Sims will usually accept it. The action can sometimes be cancelled by itself or overwritten by pushed interaction.|
|Curse of Infectious Laughter||Sometimes you just can’t stop laughing, even in inappropriate situations and often times spread it to others.||Cursed Sim will randomly start laughing randomly, any sims present in the room with the cursed Sim will also start laughing. The interaction cannot be cancelled or overwritten. If the Sim is doing another interaction (e.g. sleeping) it will either be forced to stop or will continue and laugh after finishing the interaction.|
|Curse of Repulsiveness||What a horrifying visage! This will cause terror and disgust in all nearby Sims. Socializing will be much harder.||There's a much higher chance that social interactions will fail, even if towards friends. Sims may vomit after seeing your Sim.|
|Curse of Scrambled Spells||You’re losing control of your magic. Casting will sometimes have random powerful results.||Sim's spells will always fail and may have random negative outcomes.|
|Curse of Uncleansable Stench||You are eternally drenched in the smelliest of gym sweat constantly. Showering does nothing!||Sim's hygiene bar is lowered on the red, it can't be raised even by showering.|
|Curse of Uncontrollable Charge||You now draw too much Magical Energy. All gains are increased.||Any magical interaction will drastically fill the magical charge bar, putting the spellcaster at risk of magic overload. On the other hand, this curse also makes the Sim level up faster than usual.|
|Curse of Unwarranted Hostility||Sims around the spellcaster will randomly insult and/or start fights with them.||The Sim will be targeted for insults or fights by other random Sims.|
|Curse of the Duelist||Be prepared to get into more duels! It’s going to be a lot harder to win, and rewards won’t be as good.||Nearby spellcasters will provoke your sim into duels which will be much harder to win by your Sim and rewards will be of low quality.|
|Curse of the Night Wraith||A Spectral Stalker is hunting you. But where are they now?! Good luck trying to sleep!||Sim's energy will always be very low and sim will be unable to fall asleep or take a nap. Additionally, Night Wraith itself can appear at night.|
Magic[edit | edit source]
There are four magic styles that spellcasters can learn and are: Practical, Mischief, Untamed, and Alchemy. They are not mutually exclusive, so spellcasters can learn more than one style at once. Spellcasters can learn up to 24 spells and 15 potions, which can both be logged in a spell book.
Items[edit | edit source]
Spellcasters can acquire a variety of magical items such as spell books, magic brooms, and wands. Wands are optional as players can choose to have spellcasters do magic simply with their hands instead. Every spellcaster receives an object known as the "Glimmerstone", which can be used to teleport to the Magic Realm without having to go through the portal in Glimmerbrook.
Spells[edit | edit source]
Spellcasters can learn 24 spells across the three schools of magic, ranging from teleportation, to transforming Sims into objects, starting fires, summoning ghosts, and resurrecting deceased Sims. Spells can backfire, with the likelihood increasing if the spellcaster's level is lower than what is required for the spell.
Leveling[edit | edit source]
Spellcasters can level up in ranks through experience and training in magic. Spellcasters have six ranks:
- Rank 1 - Apprentice
- Rank 2 - Neophyte
- Rank 3 - Acolyte
- Rank 4 - Adept
- Rank 5 - Master
- Rank 6 - Virtuoso
Spellcasters can earn experience naturally by:
- Being mentored by higher level spellcasters
- Practicing magic
- Reading spell or potion tomes
- Having a summoned familiar
Perks[edit | edit source]
There are a total of 24 perks from which spellcasters can choose. There are three columns of perks that must be bought in rows, but perks outside the columns don't have the restriction and can be bought as long as the spellcaster is of the appropriate level.
- Knowledge Is Magic - Sim reads and does computer research at a faster rate. These interactions also provide Magical experience over time.
- Mote Hound - Sim can now always see Magical Motes and collect them. Motes can be consumed for experience and minor, random motive boosts.
- Charge Control - All spellcaster charge increases are reduced.
- Hexproof - Sim is now protected from Curses.
- Magical Resonance - While in The Magic Realm, the Sim is extremely powerful. They are protected by Death from Overload and can Build Charge and Discharge their Spellcaster Charge levels. Also increased success chance of potion-making, drinking, and spellcasting.
- Blender Arm - Potion crafting speed significantly increased.
- Frugal Combination - Chance on potion creation that all of the required ingredients will not be used.
- A Little Extra Chemistry - Potions crafted by the Sim are surprisingly tasty and have an additional small benefit triggered when the potion is consumed.
- Mix Master - Extra servings will be in the cauldron each time a potion is successfully created.
- Potent Potables - Effects on all potions are increased and/or last significantly longer. Sim can now Hex their Potions to have them always fail.
- Discharge - This Sim can now cast Discharge which empties spellcaster charge.
- Power Shunt - Casting a spell now adds significantly less spellcaster charge.
- Spectral Reach - Sim can now cast long distances (without having to move closer to the target). Also, Sims no longer know who cast the spell on them so they won’t react negatively towards you.
- Master Caster - Casting spells no longer fails when the Sim is in a normal spellcaster charge range. Backfires are greatly reduced in Charged and Overcharge states.
- Master Duelist - This Sim has significantly increased chances of winning a duel and reaps better rewards from them.
- Practiced Practicality - Practical Spells & Potions always succeed when Sim is in a normal spellcaster charge range. Failure is greatly reduced in Charged and Overcharge states.
- Incredible Forager - This Sim receives more items when harvesting magical ingredients in the Magic Realm.
- Insightful Eye - Research, experiment, and tome reading speeds are all greatly increased.
- Mischief Master - Mischief Spells and Potions always succeed when Sim is in a normal spellcaster charge range. Failure is greatly reduced in Charged and Overcharge states.
- Natural Mentor - Increased relationship and skill gains when training or experimenting with other spellcasters.
- Experimenter - When experimenting and practicing, Sim gains experience faster with fewer failures.
- Spellcaster Socialite - Unlock Magical social interactions with other spellcasters that will provide some spellcaster experience.
- Tame the Untameable - Untamed Spells & Potions always succeed when Sim is in a normal spellcaster charge range. Failure is greatly reduced in Charged and Overcharge states.
- Magical Discounts - Sim receives a 50% discount on all purchases from the market stalls in The Magic Realm.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
Spellcasters have a variety of special interactions marked by a book symbol and usually under the "Magic" interaction within the pie menu.
Interactions with other spellcasters[edit | edit source]
Spellcasters can enthuse about magic as well as discuss magical topics to one another. They can share potions, cast spells on one another, and even duel together. Spellcasters who are of a higher level can offer magical training to lower-level spellcasters.
Spellcasters can duel each other for many options:
- Friendly Duel - Doesn't provide rewards or losses.
- Heated Duel
- Duel for Artifacts - Duel to receive the Wand or Broom of the opponent. Player controlled spellcasters vs NPC spellcasters will not lose their Wand or Broom. Familiar, albeit not noted, can be wagered for as well.
- Duel for Knowledge - Duel to receive knowledge of a spell the opponent knows.
- Duel for Ingredients - Duel to receive ingredients the opponent has.
The Magic Realm[edit | edit source]
Spellcasters are most commonly found within the Magic Realm, which is a location outside the normal dimension other worlds exist within. Plenty of spellcasters go there to practice their magic, talk with other spellcasters, collect magical artifacts as well as ingredients, or even duel at the dueling grounds.
Familiars[edit | edit source]
Spellcasters can bind familiars to themselves to aid them in spellcasting and protect them from dying. Spellcasters can collect as many familiars as they want, however only one can be summoned at a time.
Rite of Dissolution[edit | edit source]
If a spellcaster wishes to no longer have magic or suffer from magical curses, they can ask a Sage to perform the "Rite of Dissolution" which will revoke a spellcaster of their magic.
You can always commit the Rite of Ascension again and regain all your powers as they were with the traits reset.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- With The Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff installed, Spellcasters have a natural talent in learning the medium skill faster.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- Spellcaster Plumbob.png
A spellcaster's plumbob.
- Spellcaster Gravestone.png
A spellcaster's tombstone.
- Spellcaster Bassinet.png
Baby spellcasters will be born into this bassinet by default.
References[edit | edit source]